jueves, enero 25, 2007

RESPECT (II)

Let me tell you some things about me that you may not know —things that have taught me respect. I have spent my entire life on or around Indian Reservations. I was born amidst the Nez Perce of Idaho. I lived in the middle of nowhere among the Navajo in New Mexico. I began my schooling on the San Carlos Apache Reservation in Arizona. I now live in the thriving metropolis of Sylva, North Carolina, right next to the Cherokee IndianReservation. In every one of these cultures, I have experienced something different. One of my babysitters was a traditional Navajo rug weaver, who would spin the wool when she would take care of me. Another experience that stuck with me is when I attended the Apache Jii days in Arizona and watched, in awe, the traditional hoop dancer take twenty to thirty hoops and dance with them in incredible ways. Not only have I seen the cultural aspects of Native Americans, I have seen them in what we would consider normal walks of life. They are my doctors, my nurses, my health care professionals, and even my father’s colleagues. The Nez Perce, the Navajo, the Apache, the Cherokee—I have learned about and have experienced these cultures first hand. These experiences have allowed me to have an incredible respect for each of them and, through them, for other cultures.

Another aspect of my life that you may or may not know is that prior to coming to Asheville School four years ago, I obtained my entire education through homeschooling. Part of that homeschooling included my family traveling throughout the United States and, in some cases, around the world. Wherever we travel, I learn about the people and the events that may have happened at that place. I went to places such as the Oregon Trail and learned about the hardships that the travelers experienced and how they overcame them. I studied how the Civil War, Revolutionary War, and other major events may have changed this country in ways you have studied, but also in ways you may not.

I have learned about technology and pioneers such as Edison, Ford, and Marconi who lent their expertise to this country. Through my travels I have met different people, and learned about many others. From these travels, I have gained a sense of humility about and gratitude toward people who contribute to our American society.



NOTE: This was written by a quite close friend of mine, Nathan Doane, and I didn't ask for permission to post it (yet)... but every single flattery should be delivered to him...

Escuchando: Save Ferris - Spam